Our Family

Palmer, Alaska, United States
Ryan and I have been married for a whopping 18 years. We are a very busy LDS family with 6 children. Ryan and I were both born and raised in Utah. We moved to the great state of Alaska 7 years ago and take full advantage of its long summer days. We love hiking, fishing, camping, 4-wheeling and it is common to find us just sitting around the kitchen table with a good board game or card game any time of the year. We hope and pray for lasting happiness for our children.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

My Kids are the Best

I am always so proud of my children and their accomplishments. They all show their talents in such different ways. the last little while I have been thinking a lot of all the things my kids do and learn and thought that I should jot it down while it was fresh on my mind.
Tyler has had to make some tough decisions this last few months of school. He has decided what he wants to do with his life when he grows up and has made a plan to help him get there. He is loading his class schedule next year with some difficult classes so he can get ahead for college. He wants to be a computer programmer and has done research on then best colleges for him. He is working hard at the Gardner's farm and saving money for college and his mission. I am proud of him and the way he takes care of his younger brothers and sisters. They all look up to him.
About a year or so ago Braden took on the task of teaching himself how to play the piano. He is doing great. I would love to find him a piano teacher to help him out a bit. He really enjoys music. He plays trumpet. He went to State this year playing his trumpet with a friend from his class. He hit a few bumps in the road on the way and almost wasn't able to go. He had to find a new duet partner the week before State and tryout again. I am proud that he stuck to it and was able to go. He has a very creative mind with no worries to what others think of him. I love him for that. Now if I could get him to focus on his school work.
Shaelyn has come so far in her school work. When they say reading is a huge part of your success in school they aren't kidding. She struggled with reading all through elementary school and finally in Middle School met up with the most awesome school librarian. She really motivated Shae to read. She has now read more books than I can count. Since her reading habits have changed, so have her grades. She has all A's and B's. I am so proud of her. She was in battle of the Books this year. She also has become an awesome writer. She finds great happiness in her creative abilities.
Cami has become my little thespian. She had the lead part of the elementary school fall play. She sings in the school choir and has sang many solos in various programs at the school. She also plays in the band. She plays the Clarinet. Her teacher, Mrs. McClain, gave her a trophy for being the most valuable musician. She had many good things to say about Cami. Cami personally tutored a classmate who also played clarinet but was having a hard time. She is a proven leader. I know she will do great things with her talents. I love her confidence.
Conner is awesome. He is by far my sweetest child. He has such a big heart. The kids a school love him. I can't believe he will be in first grade next year. He is growing so fast. This year we decided to put him into Minors 1 in baseball instead of a second year in T-ball. I was worried at first because he is so little. He was so disappointed after his first game because he couldn't hit the ball and he wanted so bad to run the bases. Last night was his second game and he hit the ball. It was an awesome hit. I think he will be just fine. He makes me so proud. He has such a drive to do his best at everything. He's a great kid.
Aubrey is my little 'demon' child. I love her. She has an imagination like no other. She will not be left behind by anyone. She keeps up with her brothers and sisters in all they do and doesn't skip a beat. When all the kids are at school she plays with imaginary friends. These friends often get her into trouble. She is so fun to watch. We joke that she will never survive childhood. She can rough and tumble, climb trees, hike, and run with the dog and then turn around and twirl like a ballerina, and play house. I am excited to watch her grow up.
My kids are the best.

1 comment:

Ty Lyman said...

I think it's so awesome that all of your kids do their own thing. Thanks for sharing. It's kind of fun to see the differences in each of them. I can sit and think of different talents of my kids too and wonder how I ended up with such great children. It's weird how they all come from the same gene pool, but end up SO different.

Thanks again for blogging. I love reading it.